Building » FAQs


1. Where can I obtain free 2018 building codes information?

2. Do I need a permit for portable storage building?

Yes, a storage building requires a permit. The permit fee $25.00.

3. How do I file a complaint about an unsafe building issue?

Please go to the Forms and Downloads section and print out form the complaint form. Once you have filled this form, please submit to the Building Department.

4. My electrical service has been disconnected for six months, and I need my electrical power turned on. What do I need to do?

Contact Greeneville Light and Power and fill out all required forms. You must call the Building Department to schedule an inspection after all forms have been completed.

5. What building code does the town have adopted?

2018 International Building Code
2018 International Residential Code
2018 International Plumbing Code
2018 International Mechanical Code
2018 International Fuel Gas Code
2018 International Energy Conservation Code with amendments
2018 International Swimming Pool and Spa Code
ICC A117.1-2009 (Standard for Accessible and Usable Buildings & Facilities)

6. When do I need a building permit?

All construction activity requires a permit except for flooring, cabinets, painting, and general maintenance issues.

7. Whose responsibility is it to make sure all required zoning setbacks are met?

The Building Department does not measure for setbacks. It is the responsibility of the contractor or homeowner to be certain that all required setbacks are met.
8. What information is needed to obtain a building permit?
  • Any commercial building exceeding 1,200 square feet requires a stamped set of plans to be submitted for review by Building Department staff.
  • Contractors must provide proof of workman's compensation insurance.
  • If the total project cost exceeds $25,000 (commercial or residential projects), the person pulling the permit must be a licensed contractor.