Development Review

Where to Begin

The Planning Department is the place to begin discussion of any major development including commercial and industrial developments, residential subdivisions, public buildings, recreational areas, and major expansions of existing structures. Please contact the Planning Director Randy Davenport directly at (423) 787-6199 or [email protected].

For small residential developments, such as constructing a single or double-family residential house or modifying an existing house, contact the building department directly.
How We Work

Greeneville provides development services through interconnected departments and entities. In order to foster the one-stop-shop process, most of these departments are located on the second floor of the Town Hall building.
We also have a single computer software system and database for permits, inspection tracking, and fee payments.
In addition, various departments and utility agencies meet monthly as the Greeneville Development Review Committee to discuss development projects under review and provide essential information to devevlopers to help them navigate the development process.

Before Beginning Construction

There are two main permit processes associated with development and construction projects, depending upon the nature of the proposed development: building permits and grading permits. In addition, if a proposed project's use does not conform with the zoning designation of a particular property, rezoning of the property may be required before the project can proceed. 

Building Permit Process

Thousands of lots exist in Greeneville. While some are occupied, others are vacant and ready for development. As shown on our zoning map, each lot is currently zoned for a wide array of uses permitted by the applicable zone district classification. The Planning Director is  available to provide more information on parcels availability for particular land uses.
Your site is considered “zoned and ready” if its current zoning matches your intended use. The next step, if the development is substantial enough, will be submission of a site plan. Site plans are required for all developments except for single and two-family housing constructions on a single lot that are not part of a Planned Unit Development (PUD).
Dependent upon the amount of new development, you may be required to provide either a plot plan or a full engineered site plan. You may also need to appear before the Planning Commission. Contact the Planning Department for more information.
In cases where the development will not meet the strict application of the zoning ordinance, a variance approval by the Board of Zoning Appeals is required before the project may proceed.
Once your site plan has been given final approval, you may be issued a building permit. Contact the Building Department for more information.

Grading Permit Process

Site grading beginsGrading permit applications are filed with the Building & Planning Departments. Developers can obtain grading permits straight from this department for projects that do not need plot plans, site plans, and/or a variance. For projects that need plot or site plans, the final site plan should be approved before the department can issue a grading permit.

The Building & Planning Department serves as the hub of the grading permit process and coordinates the grading permit application with all other applicable Town Departments. However, because of the high level of collaboration and information sharing between the Planning, Building, and Public Works/Engineering Departments, the Planning Director, Building Official, or City Engineer can provide you with accurate information on whether you need site plan approval for grading purposes.
Rezoning Process

For development projects that need rezoning, contact Planning Director Logan Engle. The Planning Department serves as the hub of the rezoning process and coordinates the application with all other applicable Town Departments.
Variance and Special Exception Processes

Some lots have natural conditions that impose an undue hardship on the developer if a strict application of regulations are considered. Development on such lots that do not meet current requirements may qualify for a variance. Other lots of record may be too small in size to meet the current requirements. Development on these lots may qualify for a special exception or conditional use. Both variances and special exceptions can be granted by the Board of Zoning Appeals. Please contact Planning Director Randy Davenport for more information.